"Dwell in my presence" Part 3

The word truly is a like a multifaceted jewel. Today as I begin a new day, God opened my eyes to yet another meaning of the word "dwell". Apparently the Hebrew word for it "shakan" also means abide. Some of the words online dictionary uses to define abide are persist, endure, bear, hold still and continue.

The word abide reminds me of working out in the gym. One particular regimen that comes to mind is doing abdominal exercises i.e. crunches. At the beginning, curling my shoulders towards my pelvis while I rest my head on both hands is easy. But as I "crunch" along the way, I start feeling pain in my abdominals and in my heart of hearts I just want to quit...thinking..."Gee why does this have to be too hard and painful too?" Of course I never get to quit because I would always hear my gym instructor bellow "hold it!" and the few seconds of count down before I can lower my shoulders and head would seem to take forever. When it finally comes, the instructor would once again yell...."UP! So up I go again...and again...and again... until I finally complete the desired set of crunches for the day. Talk about persisting, enduring, bearing and holding still under physical strain. 

This fine Monday morning, God is telling me...Elsie things may not have been easy...even painful but persevere under the strain, keep going, endure, and as you do so be still before me and continue to be faithful until my work in you is accomplished. Then God opened a series of Scriptures saying to me "Elsie be not weary of doing good for at a proper time you shall reap a harvest if you do not give up" (Gal.6:9). Instead continue to life by faith (Rom.1:17), and abide in me and I will abide in you. As you abide in me, you shall bear much fruit, for apart from me you can really do nothing (John 15:4-5). One thing you can always be confident about is that I your God, who started a good work in you, will carry that work on to completion until the return of my Son Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6) Do not fear, and have courage for I your God am with you. I shall never leave you nor forsake you (1 Chronicles 28:20). Instead learn to be still, and know that I am your God. All these things I will do so I may be exalted among the nations and the earth (Psalm 46:10).

Dear Lord, I am humbled at the goodness you have shown me today. My heart overflows with joy because you have spoken and in your word I always find life. I submit to your word. Thank you that your grace is upon me to walk in obedience to your instruction. Amen.

Comments

  1. To dwell - to hold still - I love that! And the series of Scriptures - just want to read and reread it - it is music to my soul.
    Now that crunching part not as inspiring - though, God knows I need to do more of that! I need that P.E. coach pushing me on!
    Great blog Elsie - thanks for sharing this time dwelling in His presence. May His Spirit fill our days and keep us focused - stayed on Him.
    Love you! Praise be to our Father!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Nikki,
    Thanks for the feedback Nikki and thanks for following my blog as well. Yep I did not enjoy the crunch part too but the Lord using it as a visual for me to understand what He is telling me was pretty cool. :-D. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the presence of God when...?

God's Most Valuable Slave

Dwell in my presence "Part 4"