I got Treasures in this Jar of Clay

2 Corinthians 4:7-12
7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. 12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

Serving God does not guarantee a burden-free life. Many of us tend to think that those who faithfully serve the Lord are free from any troubles, that God has created a fast lane of deliverance for them. Ministers of God are asked to pray by many yet often times are forgotten to be prayed for. In this passage Paul draws our attention to the truth that even the faithful can find themselves in a situation where they are  "hardpressed on every side, perplexed and persecuted. The difference though is while going through challenging times, the servant of God carries with him/her hope. As Paul aptly puts it, "they maybe hard pressed on every side, but not crushed. They may be perplexed, but not in despair; they may be persecuted, but they will not be not abandoned; they may be struck down but they shall not be destroyed."

I think of the many times I have gone through trials and tribulations throughout my over 20 years of service to the Lord, and how many times God has used my story of brokenness to bless others. One trial that comes to mind was suffering abuse while I was a missionary in India. Almost everything in me died due to that. The heartache, doubt, and pain brought by such an unfortunate experience was so much. Yet even in pain I knew my God has not abandoned me; through all my many why's, somewhere inside of me lay strength to cling to God's stable word. While what the enemy meant for harm wounded me, it definitely did not destroy me. In fact during those difficult days, I witnessed God's power operate in a manner I would have not known had I not been in the situation I was in. With my own eyes I saw how God picked me from the ashes, and enabled me to arise stronger. My God has empowered me with a word of testimony of His ability to put broken pieces together.  In Christ I have been made whole. 

By God's providence my story has been seen on 700 Club Asia and has been used by God to bring healing to many. Along with the Apostle Paul I can say " I have this treasure in this jar of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from me." What a wonderful blessing to serve the Living God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the presence of God when...?

God's Most Valuable Slave

Dwell in my presence "Part 4"