Celebrating a decade of God’s faithfulness Welcoming 2020, the year of my reward and recompense

An overriding theme of the decade for me is His faithfulness. God ushered me into the decade by first calling me into a yearlong sabbatical, which little did I know would be the same year I would be married and move to the United States. Being married and living as an immigrant in a new land, became the perfect backdrop for me to experience God’s faithfulness in a new way. Allow me to share with you the highs and lows of the past decade and how through it all God held my hand and steadied me to grow in my faith and relationship with him

2009: Todd and I got married. This year was marked with miracles of provision for our wedding, my visa to move to the US in time for our wedding and for me and my husband as we were both negatively impacted by economic downturn in the country.  The same year God would perfectly provide for us and ensure we had roof over our head, food on our table and clothes over our back. It was the year God reminded me that He will always be the God who will provide. God gave me faith to believe and found rest and joy as I daily walked in the knowledge of His steadfast love that sustained both my husband and I.

2010: After a yearlong sabbatical God led me to adjunct teach at an Oakland based seminary which I learned about by googling missions in California. 

2011-2017: God redirected my husband and I to move to California Bay Area where God provided for us through employment at the same seminary where I adjunct taught the previous year. Todd on the other hand worked multiple part time jobs as he pursued his MA in History. This season was a season of learning and growth in my trust and dependence on His wisdom as my role at the college constantly changed and as God used me to help the college through some very challenging times.  In 2013, God released us to be debt-free (We remain debt-free to this day).  In 2016, I obtained my US citizenship. Sadly, this season culminated with the loss of my sister to lung cancer and a very painful transition out of the college during the third quarter of 2017. Through the many challenges and joys of this season, God steadied me with His firm hand, and His ever-assuring word. His sweet presence empowered me to peacefully navigate varied challenges that came my way. 

2017-2019: This past three years brought with it a mix of highs and lows. Some highs were (1) the completion and publication of my book and the launch of Go Equip a non-profit God spoke to me to start at the beginning of the decade. Through the non-profit I trained 6 missionaries who are now currently serving in Thailand and Burma. I also adjunct teach online at a couple of Christian liberal arts universities. I am now in the process of writing my second book which by itself is a testament of how God is able to use pain to usher one to a greater understanding of His will and His heart. By end of 2018, Todd and I was able to celebrate Christmas in the Philippines. Unfortunately, it was during the same visit to the Philippines that, I fractured my foot. Early in 2019, I injured my right rotator cuff. By middle of 2019, I lost my mom to eternity. In the midst of all these, God’s word and promises continued to enable me to live by faith something that I learned to do after my conversion in 1986. 

2020: It is customary for me to ask for a word from the Lord each new year He gives me. This year His word came to me through the story of Jacob in Genesis 30. Genesis 30:38-42 records Jacob’s words to Laban after he, along with his wives and children and flock, fled his father-in-law. Confronted by Laban who pursued him, Jacob said:
 I have been with you for twenty years now. Your sheep and goats have not miscarried, nor have I eaten rams from your flocks.  I did not bring you animals torn by wild beasts; I bore the loss myself. And you demanded payment from me for whatever was stolen by day or night. This was my situation: The heat consumed me in the daytime and the cold at night, and sleep fled from my eyes. It was like this for the twenty years I was in your household. I worked for you fourteen years for your two daughters and six years for your flocks, and you changed my wages ten times. If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not been with me, you would surely have sent me away empty-handed. But God has seen my hardship and the toil of my hands, and last night he rebuked you.

The passages that follow indicated a change of heart on the part of Laban who agrees to release Jacob. The agreement between Laban and Jacob was highlighted in Genesis 31:48-50 where…

Laban said, “This heap is a witness between you and me today.” That is why it was called Galeed.  It was also called Mizpah, because he said, “May the Lord keep watch between you and me when we are away from each other. If you mistreat my daughters or if you take any wives besides my daughters, even though no one is with us, remember that God is a witness between you and me.”

After 20 years of hard work and being badly treated by his father-in-law, Jacob finally obtained his release from Laban and obtained a place to live. 

From this story, 20 represents completeness of waiting in situations that are not very favorable. It is a number of release to one’s destiny; a number representing recompense and reward after a period of waiting faithfully. Below is what I believe God’s word for me is for year 2020. 

Elsie, I have watched you and have stayed with you through the years. In the last decade I have blessed you with my presence and miraculous and timely provisions. However, I also have tested you and allowed you to go through manifold pains in life and in ministry. But in each of those trying times, you ran to me and sought my face. You called upon my name and poured your heart at my throne. Through the tests, you chose to be joyful and to continue to bear fruit in my name. I hurt with you each time your heart was torn to pieces. You always knew that my presence is always with you and in my presence, you always found healing. My daughter, I delight in you. I take pride in your will to continue to choose me and pursue my desires for you. You have patiently waited and trusted me to act on your behalf when it was easy for you to take matters in your own hands. Well done my daughter. I declare to you now, your years of faithful service to Me through manifold trials will be rewarded. Because whether in joy or pain you have faithfully served Me and considered what will serve My kingdom best, I your Father will lovingly and generously reward you. The wait is over. Year 2020 is the year I will allow your eyes to see tangible rewards for the years you have faithfully served Me, through the hurt, being misunderstood, misjudged and not treated right. I will remove every obstacle in your way, and release you into another season of fruitfulness serving in My kingdom. I will continue to establish you in My faithful love. Always remember, my loving kindness towards you is always new every morning because Faithful is my name. Welcome to the year of your reward and recompense. Happy reward-filled 2020 Elsie. Your Heavenly Father.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the presence of God when...?

God's Most Valuable Slave

Dwell in my presence "Part 4"